Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Castles and Crusades

I've never given much thought to Castles and Crusades. With all the other D&D clones/retroclones around, many of them for free, I didn't feel the need to part with the money. Now, though, DriveThruRPG is have a half off sale on Troll Lord Game products. Two of the three main rulebooks are half off. (They aren't discounting the Castle Keeper's Guide.) But I can get two for under $10.

So, does anyone have any experience with C&C? Good? Bad? Mediocre? Like? Dislike? Ambivalent?

7 comments:

  1. Like it. But haven't had a chance to run it. It's like d20 system without Feats and Skills, a very stripped down d20 mixed with AD&D 'simplicity'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an awesome game! EVERYTHING in my 30 year old D&D RPG gaming library is easily adaptable to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taken for what it is, it's awesome. If you're after a non-literal retro-clone with the d20 core mechanic and an AD&D feel it's your beast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's Dr Rotwang!'s D&D game of choice. Low-prep, high-reward. Flexible, adaptable, totally in the spirit of the game -- and what Brutorz Bill sez is 100% true.

    I'd say it's 110% true, but math doesn't really work that way. DAMN YOU MATH!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Double Damn you mATh!!
    stupid math!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every time I turn around, it seems I run into another alliteratively-named D&D copy.

    I won't even bother to google "Basements and Beholders", I'm sure it must exist somewhere. That, and "Krawlspaces and Kobolds".

    ReplyDelete
  7. dmarks - Last night I read someone lamenting the fact that many of the good names for fantasy games are taken. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see one of your suggested titles soon.

    ReplyDelete