Monday, August 29, 2022

Sword & Sorcery Games

I own a lot of RPGs.  I mean a LOT.  It's a weakness with me.  Or an addiction.  But that's between me and any future therapist that I get.  Most of them are in PDF form.  I have a comb binding machine so if a like a game enough I print out a copy and bind it into a book myself.

My favorite genre of games is Sword & Sorcery.  (I think.  Because I like SF and post-apoc quite a bit too.)  I have quite a few but I've never compiled a list.  So that is what I am going to do here.  I'm bound to miss a few but I will add those later.  I think I have a somewhat narrow view/definition of what S&S is but I am going to list the games that the publishers advertise as S&S.  But it will also be tempered by my own judgement.

I will state up front, for those who don't know, my favorite S&S game is Barbarians of Lemuria.  It is a light, flexible game that can be played in many different S&S settings.  Not just the interesting one it comes with.  It fact, it has been used for different genres and eras as well and it has been turned into a generic pulp system with Everywhen.

Unfortunately, I haven't played all of them.  Or most of them.  And there are few I haven't read yet, too.  There are several I really want to try out but I actually have very little opportunity to play.

So, here we go:

  1. Barbarians of Lemuria
  2. Barbarians of Lemuria - Legends of Steel Edition
  3. Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperboria
  4. Barbarians & Basilisks
  5. Barbaric!
  6. Beasts & Barbarians: Savage Worlds
  7. Black Sword Hack
  8. Blades & Black Magic
  9. Blood of Pangea
  10. The Bloody-Handed Name of Bronze
  11. The BoL Hack
  12. Broadsword
  13. Bronze
  14. Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed
  15. Crimson Blades
  16. Crypts & Things
  17. Forgotten Tales of Sword & Sorcery
  18. GURPS Conan
  19. Into the Bronze
  20. Jaws of the Six Serpents
  21. Lankhmar: City of Thieves (Savage Worlds)
  22. Lankhmar: DCC
  23. On Mighty Thew
  24. One Dice Pulp (One of the "skins" is for sword & sorcery)
  25. Red Mists: Swords Against Sorcery
  26. Shadow, Sword and Spell
  27. Sharp Swords & Sinister Spells
  28. Stormbringer
  29. Sword Noir
  30. Sword of Cepheus
  31. Swords Without Master (in Worlds Without Master #3)
  32. Through the Sunken Lands
  33. USR Sword & Sorcery
  34. ZeFRS
  35. ZeFRS - Cimmerian Quickstart
Edit:
Additional titles
    36. Swords Against the Shroud

3 comments:

  1. You Sir, have great taste!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might want to check out Swords & Chaos. The kickstarter has finished but the writer is working on getting a website where he can sell copies: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blackspirefantasy/swords-and-chaos/description

    ReplyDelete